I just completed Altenew Academy\’s Class \”With A Twist\” and I created a bunch of cards. The class was all about trying the unexpected. I am sharing my favorite card from the series and it was from Class #6 \”Die Cutting With a Twist\”. Our instructor, Therese Calvird, showed us how to do faux embossing with die cuts. I had never done this technique before but it does result in a dramatic and showy card.
- I stamped two A2 Bristol panels full of leaves and blooms from Altenew\’s Smile More stamp and die bundle.
- I colored them with Zig markers and used a damp brush to blend the colors.
- I die cut everything.
- I wanted to use a big scripty sentiment so I heat embossed Enjoy on an A2 card front made of Bristol cardstock and Your Birthday on a scrap of black cardstock.
- I played around with the layout and when I was happy, I glued the die-cuts down with liquid adhesive. I was sure to leave all the edge images over the edge and then I took sharp scissors and trimmed the die-cuts flush to the edge.
- Stamp and color a lot of images. For this card I stamped and colored two complete A2 panels worth of blooms and leaves. You don\’t want the card to look skimpy and there is quite a bit of waste after your trim around your card.
- I made my own card base out of Bristol cardstock so the cardbase and die-cuts would blend well.
- I stamped one panel with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink and one with Versamark Onyx black and found I got a better result with the Onyx Black. The Archival required multiple stamping and after drying for one day, one bloom still smeared a bit.
I am also playing along with:
Allsorts \”Flowers All Over\” I \”faux embossed\” flowers all over my cardbase.
The Flower Challenge \”Summer or Winter\” The answer for me is summer! I love summer…the sun, warm weather clothes, bright colors, long days…. These daisies are very summery to me.
Thanks for stopping by!
5 thoughts on “Altenew Academy "With A Twist"”
Beautiful… great placement of all those die cuts!
Beautiful floral card.Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m
Love how bright and zingy this card is. Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.
Such a cheery card, Karen, with those lovely daisies looking out at us. Thanks for sharing your card with us at The Flower Challenge.
I love making cards like these! They always end up looking gorgeous. Yours looks beautiful!Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.